|Location||Durban, South Africa|
|Date Posted||October 8, 2019|
This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email [email protected]
Operating Division : Transnet Freight Rail
Position Title : Environmental and Sustainability Consultant
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Risk
Location : Durban
Reporting To : Snr Manager
Grade Level : F
Reference Number : 50014650
The Consultant (Environmental Management) is responsible for developing, monitoring and facilitating implementation of
integrated environmental management policies, processes, procedures and systems that are in line with Transnet Freight
Rail’s environmental management strategy.
- Develop, implement, monitor and capacitate line management on the Environmental Management System’s (EMS) policies,
processes and procedures.
- Research, formulate, document, secure approval and manage specialist contracts for environmental rehabilitation works,
asbestos clearing, waste management, ground water studies, risk based pollution containment and environmental liabilitymanagement studies
- Ensure integration and alignment of the EMS framework to the broader risk management strategy that company interests
are represented and external risks towards company operations are treated;
- Ensure cost effective management of environmental issues, enhanced legal compliance and reduced current and future
management of environmental issues, enhance legal compliance and reduced current and future environmental liability
- Devise and conduct specialist pollution or environmental risk assessment of major operational areas
- Devise, conduct and record the annual environmental audit programme for line functions and ascertain levels of compliance
- Enforce compliance with conditions of environmental approvals for all new projects as required by law
- Enable Transnet Freight Rail to achieve optimum business objectives while minimizing the environmental impact associated
- Translate, devise and implement international best practice standards and systems in accordance with ISO 14001
Qualifications & Experience:
- Degree or Diploma qualification in Environmental Management or related field is required.
- A postgraduate qualification will be an advantage.
- At least 5 years’ experience in environmental management or related field.
- Be in possession of a (Code B) Driver’s License and be competent and prepared to drive such a vehicle.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Knowledge of environmental management
- Quantitative and qualitative research and data interpretation skills;
- Project management skills;
- Planning and organisational skills;
- Financial management skills;
- Exceptional Interpersonal skills and a team player;
- Presentation skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication;
- Ability to mentor and coach others;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise and work under pressure;
- Extensive experience in MS Office (incl. MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel);
- Ability to work and function in a matrix organisational structure;
- Ability to build sound relationships;
- Motivate and Influence people.
“NB: The candidate must meet the minimum inherent health requirements of the job”